Are you looking for a delicious slaw you can serve at potlucks or BBQs? The delicious royal cabbage and kale slaw is your winner. This recipe is made by Buzz Savories, featuring their famous Spicy Beer Mustard.
Betty's adventure began with a Beginning Beekeeping class taught by a University of Nebraska Entomologist. Despite bee fatalities, bee stings, varroa mites and more, she was harvesting 300 pounds of honey.
Betty was harvesting more than she could eat or give away, so she decided to sell her honey. Today, Betty has a business called Buzz Savories, which produces Honey, Honey Mustard, and Spicy Beer Mustard.
For the Salad:
- ½ head cabbage, thin sliced (or buy in a package)
- 1 bunch kale, thin sliced (approximately 6 large leaves)
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup toasted sliced almonds (optional)
- ¼ cup fresh dill, or parsley, or chives, or combination of those herbs
For the Dressing:
- 2 green onions minced
- 2 tsp. Buzz Savories Spicy Beer Mustard
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. fresh ground pepper
- Combine minced onions, Buzz Savories Spicy Beer Mustard and vinegar in a bowl and mix.
- Slowly stream in the olive oil while whisking to emulsify the dressing.
- Finish with salt and fresh-cracked pepper to taste.
Rip the center vein from the kale leaves. Stack 3 large portions of the leaves and then roll the leaves tightly. Cut thin slices.
Toast the almond slices, if using.
Combine thinly-sliced cabbage, kale and herbs in a large bowl and toss well with the dressing.
Taste for seasoning.
Sprinkle almonds on the salad just before serving.
Serve immediately or cover and chill in the refrigerator.