We've all heard of peach, cherry, strawberry, pumpkin, and banana cream pie, but have you heard of Aronia berry pie? This pie is not only going to satisfy those sweet tooth cravings, but also provide health benefits that no other fruit offers! Aronia berries are considered a super fruit that are high in antioxidants, fiber, and Vitamin C. The sweet, fresh taste of the berries paired with a flaky, golden, sugar-dusted crust made by Gluten Free Mama's Pie Crust make an unforgettable dessert that you won't have leftovers from!
Cindy Schofield was once a little girl on Charles Morrill's fields and returned back in later years with her husband, John, to continue farming on Charles' land growing a new, alternative crop of the native North American shrub called Aronia Melanocarpa or Black Chokeberry. Cindy is the current owner of the 10 acre organic Aronia berry farm and operates Homestead Aronia. She chose Aronia berries because they are one of the healthiest berries full of anti-oxidants. Cindy's goal is to introduce the future of Aronia and connect it with the history of Nebraska.
- 4 cups Frozen Aronia Berries
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- Gluten Free Mama's Pie Crust Mix
- 1 egg + 1 Tbsp. Milk for the egg wash
- Coarse sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 9" pie plate with one Gluten Free Mama's Pie Crust
- Mix the Aronia berries with the sugar, cinnamon, and flour. Pour into Gluten Free Mama's Pie Crust
- Top with the other Gluten Free Mama's Pie Crust in a lattice design or a full crust. * If using a full crust, make sure to vent the crust
- Brush the crust with egg wash and dust with coarse sugar if desired. Cover the crust's edge with foil.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 20-25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the fruit is tender.